What is acupuncture?
Acupuncture consists of inserting thin, sterile, stainless steel needles into a patient at precise locations and depths to alter the body’s biochemical and physiological properties, primarily through stimulation of the central nervous system and blood flow.
How does acupuncture work?
In western terms, acupuncture can assist the body in healing itself by affecting certain physiological changes. For example, acupuncture can stimulate nerves, increase blood circulation, relieve muscle spasms, and cause the release of hormones such as endorphins.
What conditions can acupuncture treat?
The American Veterinary Medical Association now accepts acupuncture as an effective pain management therapy and complement to western treatment approaches.
- Musculoskeletal and orthopedic diseases: arthritis, back pain, muscle soreness, joint pain, disc problems
- Neurological diseases: seizure, neuritis, paralysis
- Select gastrointestinal and hormone disorders
- Select respiratory ailments – asthma, coughing
- Other chronic conditions: renal failure, skin conditions, behavioral problems
What is TCM?
These are herbal formulas, some over a thousand years old, which treat various diseases conditions. Rather than containing just one main active ingredient as in most conventional medicines, these contain combinations of herbs that work together.
What can TCM treat?
In most cases we will use TCM when we are not getting the desired response with conventional treatment or we will use a combination of medicines for:
- Chronic and acute inflammatory disease
- Gastrointestinal disease
- Hyperthyroidism, kidney disease
- Certain cancers